Thursday, September 13, 2007

Why do we celebrate Christmas?

Today in class we discussed the reason that we celebrate Christmas. We all think that we know exactly why we celebrate Christmas but is the reason we think the real reason that we do it? I know that my family and I celebrate Christmas because it just seems to be a traditional holiday that we have always celebrated. I am a Christian and I believe that the true reason Christmas is celebrated is a wonderful thing but I feel like I don't celebrate Christmas for those reasons. I feel like Christmas has turned into this greedy thing that its another day of the year that you can get presents besides your birthday. I feel like as a society we lose whats really important about Christmas and why it is celebrated. Like we said in class why do we get other people presents and recieve presents on a day that is suppose to be the celebration of Jesus' birthday. I mean on my birthday no one else is recieving gifts but me. I think that Christmas has turned into a day for retailers to make more money and children to be spoiled. The one good thing that I can say about Christmas, well for me atleast, is that its a day that all my family gets together. Since I live 2000 miles from any of my family its nice to go home for Christmas and see everybody. Its just a time to catch up and take a step out of our busy lives to relax and be with the ones we love.

No comments: